Skip to main content

What's in a name?

If you come from a family like mine you learn very quickly that everything is in a name. The word family typically includes a whole unit of persons related with similarities falling in many categories in addition to those shared physical traits. But what about the individual within the group. Is he or she not important. Of course you are. Your name says a lot not just about who you are but who you are not. We have a lot of girls /women in our family and it's not uncommon to hear several names rattled off before you get to who's actually being called. Finally you hear "you know whom I'm talking about". We find ourselves laughing and in unison say the name of the intended person. While all of that is great and part of family sharing I've learned something valuable over the years. Who I am, who I'm called to be and my name is very important. It distinguishes me from others. You'll find your goals for your life are different as well.

 Parents name their children differently (if there's more than two) why so you don't have to be confused with the other. The wonderful thing about being me is that there's at least 6 years or more difference between me and my siblings. It's really hard to confuse us. As far as me and my other cousins who share the same family well with the exception of the oldest two, there's at least four or more years difference between us (until you get to the next generation).

But yet still your name is important. Think of the years of instruction and training you've put in developing yourself. It's very important. I said all that to say, we should learn to discuss the individual of who we are with each other. If you are an elder in the family or a parent, get to know your children. Know what they are doing and what they're about.

I would venture to say that each child has a life uniquely desired for themselves. We should be acquainted with that. That way you cover each other's lives in truth and blessings because you really know them as an individual.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just thinking

Love is the thing that makes you smile, knows when you need a hug, supports you when you need uplifting, is a calming force, an ally when needed, but more importantly a hand to hold in times good, bad, and otherwise. Love is not be feared. But we should fear never giving ourselves and truly loving.