Skip to main content

Family...trying to get to the center of unity


Often times I write and don’t share it until it’s posted. For example, today’ blog consists of thoughts I jotted down many months ago (actually, maybe over a year) and forgot about it until today. I wrote:

“Love comes in the simplest forms. It could be one of your favorite songs really brought to life in the very air you breathe, or a video of your favorite tike whose innocence makes the fight for faith worth it so that he too can experience the God of Love…”


When I wrote the latter, I wasn’t talking about a real fight or the emotional one that we seem to be having right now; I was really talking in general about how growing up, with friends and family, we talked about what we wanted our families to look like and how we wanted to live. And now that me, and those who are close in age, are at the point where we’re having families, we’re also trying to create the vision we had as teenagers. And the importance of working together as a family to make sure that we are on one accord accomplishing our goals, all the things that we had hoped while we were young and dreamt out loud with each other as we mused about the lives we wanted in the future, is upon us and requires lot’s of work. But how much you know every time you declare something everything unlike it shows it up. And instead of being on one accord in unity we seem to be on different pages and communication difficult to achieve. And trust me, over the course of the year I’ve had the opportunity to take a real good look at this situation.

 It was then that I had an epiphany about family life. I realized that the beauty of a family is not just the fact that you have similarities but the diversity you share as well. You don’t have to be alike in a family, neither should you try. My dreams don’t have to be yours. However we can help and support each other in the things we want to achieve in life. Besides trying to be exactly like someone else is well, essentially living a lie. Plus why would you want to. That still perplexes me. I know people do it all the time but it would have to be exhausting and toxic to your emotional environment.

So the question of the day is, how do you maintain individuality in a family and still help each other do what they aspire to do without losing cohesiveness and running all over one another? It seemingly can get difficult especially if someone is trying to base actions off what you do without knowing the reason why? You can’t understand someone’s actions nor what they’re thinking without asking them or having prior conversations. Right? I suppose I thought everyone would feel the same. Apparently not in my family, so I’m on a quest to help us get back to the center somewhere we got off track and it’s counterproductive. It’s really time for honest conversations. I’ll let you know how successful I am next week. I think this may take more than a couple of tries. Until then take a few sips of the bubbly for me and wish me well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just thinking

Love is the thing that makes you smile, knows when you need a hug, supports you when you need uplifting, is a calming force, an ally when needed, but more importantly a hand to hold in times good, bad, and otherwise. Love is not be feared. But we should fear never giving ourselves and truly loving.