Skip to main content

Joy vs. Chore


Enjoying and cooking for your family should never be what I call a "chore" by all principle purposes it should be effortless and a joy. The minute you think that a relative, sibling, child etc. has the wrong mindset about what family is about is when you need to take the first opportunity to discuss it and be firm about your position.

Managing family can be a challenge and yes drama, let's face it. But you should never feel compelled to do anything. Why am I talking about this? The holiday can be stressful for some because you are cooking, and running errands, and jumping through all other loopholes for children or loved ones who may not appreciate it. That should never be. I learned and am learning the older I get that you are free to do more when you are appreciated. At least that’s what my grandmother said. And guess what she was so right. Do you know when you are appreciated you find the time even when time is stretched to the max to add an extra dessert or dish. I appreciate my grandmother for her wisdom, I really do.

This is Thanksgiving week. Most start baking and cooking as early as today. Yeah! If you know that your family loves and appreciates you enjoy it to the fullest go allllllll out as you normally do. If things are tight because of the economy go allll out in loving each other and doing things that don't cost as much but still promote the family harmony- go window shopping together or stop by any free exhibits that may be going on. However, if you don't feel you're appreciated, stop for a moment and let your family know how you feel. Tell your husband or children, I promise it will reduce a lot of stress and anxiety. Why is this important? There's nothing worse than sitting at a table or having a house full of people that you've prepared a wonderful meal for laughing and joking yet after all your effort you feel empty. Why, because when love isn’t reciprocated properly you don't get the same fulfillment. Now that's not a one-size shoe fits all assessment but the point I'm making is be sure that holiday fun and love is about everyone.  I’ll be honest I am quick to let the house know if I feel if I think I am being taken for granted because it gives others a chance to correct some behavior and make adjustment in order to maintain family unity.

Just a few family thoughts as we give thanks!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just thinking

Love is the thing that makes you smile, knows when you need a hug, supports you when you need uplifting, is a calming force, an ally when needed, but more importantly a hand to hold in times good, bad, and otherwise. Love is not be feared. But we should fear never giving ourselves and truly loving.