Skip to main content

More on Tucson

Serving in your country's armed forces is one of the most honorable and admirable things one can do. My Grand father and father served in the U.S. military and upon completion my dad worked and retired from a federal job.  Like him, many of my family members including myself, went on to work in the public sector. So when I heard that the young man who shot a member of congress in Tucson may have been rejected to serve in the military; I was able to make a potential connection to his anger. Of course no one really knows and many health professionals believe that it was not just one single factor but several that led toward this young man's tragic action. But upon hearing this my heart was overcome with sympathy for his family, congresswoman Gifford, and others who were hurt by his actions. Several factors seem to have come colliding together between those who are serving, wish to serve and support them who serve. So in earnest I pray for healing for Tucson and this country.

In hindsight, I look back and appreciate the wisdom that I received growing up. I benefited from my grandparents and parents knowledge. It was instrumental in my decision making in high school and college. It certainly helped keep me safe as a college student hundreds of miles away from home.  I realize that some of that wisdom came as a result of the men in my life having been servicemen.

With that, I am mindful of what it cost to serve, the wisdom that is gained, and the sacrifice made. I'm thankful to have hand some of that influence in my life. It has helped to shaped my perspective and been a guide to my understanding on many issues.

I find much similarities between those who serve our country and those who fought for civil rights. I am thankful for both.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just thinking

Love is the thing that makes you smile, knows when you need a hug, supports you when you need uplifting, is a calming force, an ally when needed, but more importantly a hand to hold in times good, bad, and otherwise. Love is not be feared. But we should fear never giving ourselves and truly loving.