Skip to main content

Sitting at the Reading Table

Yesterday I had a few errands to run, one of which was to go and look for a particular book. And for a Monday there seemed to be a lot of people out. Of course that is always a great opportunity to feel the energy in the atmosphere. It really can give you a sense of what's going on in the environment (not to mention that social interaction is a good thing.) But as I sat there reading I noticed a spread of magazines, all different type and trade. Out of the 60+ I noticed that only a handful had people of color on the front cover. Having just celebrated MLK Day and with black history month just around the corner of course I reflected on this visual. I thought we have come a long ways but it is still a work in progress.

If I were honest it was a bit sobering. I can't quite explain why. Perhaps because part of me would like to think we have arrived to that place of unquestionable equality. Wishful thinking ehh- I don't know? Some of it I know is tied to knowing what it's like to be the only black in a group. While in graduate school I was the first African American to graduate from my program of study in chemistry. Often being the only one, or one of very few who looked liked me in many symposiums and seminars. As a result I have a great appreciation for diversity. I learned a lot too. So as I continued to look at those magazines I thought, all of these people are leading in some way or making an impact to somebody if not the world. What qualities do they all have in common? That's when I looked around the room and thought we share a lot in common with many but those who can be fearlessly individual are set apart to lead, guide, and teach.

As a woman, for me, being fearlessly individual is not just about being this profound person. It's also as simple as being able to say back to him " I simply love you". Sometimes being fearless is just a matter of those 4 small words. Something about this thought tells me it won't end with this entry. But for now, I'm off to pamper myself and ponder this some more. And when I return hopefully I'll have more on this when I return

Yep all that from sitting at the reading table.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just thinking

Love is the thing that makes you smile, knows when you need a hug, supports you when you need uplifting, is a calming force, an ally when needed, but more importantly a hand to hold in times good, bad, and otherwise. Love is not be feared. But we should fear never giving ourselves and truly loving.